Friday 6 July 2007

Simon's Cyclosportive

3 hours sleep probably not the greatest of pre-ride preparation, and it was raining (although most of my training had been done in the rain, so wasn't too bothered).4.15am & I'm picking up another local rider, then an M25 (surprisingly busy), A2 journey to Greenwich for 6am start. Saw Roger & Mike at the start, who both oozed 'quickness', so didn't make any rash offers & said I'd 'see them later' in a vague sort of way. Worries about the roads not being closed disappeared, as the signage for Le Tour, plus our direction arrows, 4000 riders & the odd Police out-rider all acted to resign virtually all the motorists I came across, to behave (although more than the odd cyclist jumping reds did their best to upset this!) So, off at 6, sitting in the midst of the London Dynamo peleton, which seemed a little bit too urgent for me, & the slippery roads, this early, so I dropped off the back for a bit more comfort. Rightly so, as turning a bend all but a couple were on the deck to the shock of a lone guy in a bus shelter.
The next 20 miles or so I found quite hard, was feeling tired, and seriously wondered whether I would last another 100, but the rain had stopped, & I just concentrated on trying to enjoy the route, chatting to people and taking on food as regularly as possible. The stretch to Tunbridge Wells was into a headwind, so I got into a largish group after a feed station, who steamed along behind a triathlete, who didn't seem too bothered about swapping the lead (must be a triathlete thing!). One thing that didn't bother me was the climbs, and, as it started to rain again, we split on a long climb, and I got into a group of 4 for the next 10 miles or so through quieter roads, no rain & a bit more of a side/tail wind. I started feeling a lot stronger, & met up with the 'Pearsons train' who well & truely 'owned' the road for the next stretch. After the second to last feed (I think it was) - lots of jolly villagers, who plugged the gap when the supply lorry was held up by making stacks of bacon sarnies & fruit cakes, I left Pearsons to fill their faces & caught up with a cyclocross mate & 3 others and we shared the pace until the last big climb of the day, about 12 miles from the finish. We all split completely here and I descended the last fast bit alone (apart from a brief spell through & off with Pearsons again as they rocketed through). Waved through a red light by the Police (nice). The last half mile was on half a coned off dual carriageway, with great delight in flying past the cars jammed in their bit. Over the line to applause & a bleep from the transponder, jump a kerb then the bike pounced on & the transponder removed. Finished.
My only critisism would be the lack of medal for finishing, & that no food, energy bars were available once through the line - apart from a 25ml water bottle (unless you hunted it out & paid). That can't take away from what a good day it was though, and it was good to finish stronger than when I started.
Bikes were put into a lorry, and then (after a bit of a wait), we were bussed back to Greenwich where, at last, I caught up with Mike & Roger (both looking as if they could go round again!) who were claiming their bikes back. 6 hours & 32 mins, not bad all things considered, would have been nice to have been a little quicker early on, but the next day, contrary to how I felt the day before, I did feel as if I could do another stage. Perhaps.

Simon Scarsbrook

No comments: